Thursday, December 22, 2011

It Takes Work & Lots of It!

I am currently reading a book called Made To Crave by Lysa Terkeurst. (I very highly recommend it!)

Anyway, in the third chapter, Lysa describes her feelings after seeing the garden of a neighbor. She writes: "I saw this man's flowers and wished for my own-without a clue about all the work that had gone into producing them. I want(ed) the flowers but not the work."

Wow. It's amazing how much this story describes my weight loss journey to a "T". I can truly look back over the years and see myself sitting there wishing to be skinny. It happened many nights while watching the Biggest Loser (and eating some sweet snack-that-should-not-be-eaten) that I would sit there and wish I could lose weight like "them". All the while thinking to myself, "If I could only go on the Biggest Loser" or "Man, wish I could lose weight that fast". 

Reading Made To Crave at the laundry mat.

The thing is, I've never really tried. In the past when I have lost weight, it's always been easy and due to circumstance. When I moved to Russia and was forced to eat whatever foods I could find, then walk up and down five flights of stairs to my apartment everyday, and walk everywhere else, for that matter; that is when I was able to lose a lot of weight by doing nothing. Then when I returned to the States and gained all the weight back, I have wondered what was wrong that I couldn't lose weight anymore.

The reason all along was that I didn't want to put the work in, but I definitely wanted to see the results. I have realized that there is no wishing the weight away. It's going to take a lot of work. And, it's not going to happen overnight. It took a long time to get where I am right now, and it will take a while to get it off.

Walking with the hubby to get Subway. (Total walking distance - 1 mile)

I am going to work hard from now. I'm committed.

It felt good to get the walk in last night. The air is cold, but I hardly noticed!

No comments: